The doughy cleveage of Mother Russia – Borodinsky bread.

google"; exit(); ?>
Posted in Cuisine: Russian/Soviet, Ingridients: bakery | Tagged as: , | 17 Comments

17 Responses to The doughy cleveage of Mother Russia – Borodinsky bread.

1. Браклустов Евлампий Гундеевич says:

Конечно, хорошо что я не пошёл если почти всё было со свинячиной, но увидев эти фотки хлеба да ещё и почитав, я, еле двигаясь после ланча, почувствовал голод и непреодолимое желание пожевать твоего бородинского.

• Katrina K says:

There was only one dish with pork, dear Evlampij Gundeevich (a a tiny optional nibble). But yes, Borodinsky was success too.

2. Karina Baldry says:

I have thoroughly read your Borodinsky Bread recipe and reread it agin. I am clearly not as patient as you are, my dear. I am afraid that I have to come to you ( by a special request !) and try it again! Love, Karina

3. Katrina K says:

hehe, Karina, I totally agree – this bread-making business is for developing patience!:) – come to me, anytime

4. Katrina G says:

I am confused about something, and I want to clarify before I begin. When I am making the starter, will I be adding 25g of both the rye flour and water daily? Or will I be stirring it daily. I am sorry, but I have never really cooked bread before, and I am embarking on my journey with this recipe. I love black bread, and I am so excited to find a recipe that does not containe coffee or chocolate. I refuse to try a recipe that contains those ingredients.

• Katrina K says:

hey Katrina to make the starter you combine 25 gr of flour with 25 gr of water one day 1, then add 25 gr of flour and 25 gr of water on day, and so on. you are right, the old ‘authentic’ recipes don’t contain coffee or chocolate – they are not needed to give the beautiful colour or that very particular sweet and sour flavour. any more questions, just let me know.

5. Igor says:

This typical old Soviet school handwriting on the jar but in English looks funny. :)

6. Roger says:

I have recently been baking rye sourdough bread and trying different recipes. Your recipe for Russian Borodinsky bread is next and I’m really looking forward to it. Can you tell me please if it is a good idea to cover the bread with tin foil during baking. I have tried this on other recipes and it seems to leave a more even consistency of the top of the bread as opposed to a hard crust. Also another recipe for rye sourdough bread suggests baking for 1 hour at 170C(fan oven) then a further 30 minutes at 150C. I would appreciate your comments please. Regards Roger

• Katrina K says:

Hi Roger sorry for the delay in replying. no, I do not cover bread when baking it and wouldn’t suggest doing so. this dough is very soft and by covering it I think you risk ruining the finished result. as for baking time – have to admit never come across such long baking times (and I’ve got several books on baking rye recipes). why don’t you try with one loaf and see what happens? I’d certainly be curious in hearing how it went! btw, something I didn’t mention in the original recipe. I would strongly suggest taking the breads out after about 40 mins of baking, taking them out of their boxes (yes, they’ll be hot but leave them for a few minutes, then use towels), turning them upside down and baking them for further 5-10 mins. this way you’ll have a loaf that has an even crust all over, and not just on top. hope this helps.

7. Roger says:

Many thanks Katrina. I have followed your advice and have produced a perfect loaf of sourdough Borodinsky bread. I baked the bread uncovered at 200C (fan oven) for 10 minutes then at 180C for 40 minutes, removed the bread from the tin turned it over and put it back in the oven for a further 10 minutes to finish off. This gave a good even crust. I am really pleased with the result, which is absolutely mouth-watering. One very important part of the preparation seems to be the use of a ”sloppy” dough. My previous attempts have resulted in very dense bread, which didn’t rise very much. I put this down to the dough being too stiff. This time, using sloppy dough it rose quite considerably in the baking tin prior to baking and resulted in much lighter bread with a good even texture throughout. Delicious! Kind regards Roger

• Katrina K says:

Dear Roger I’m absolutely chuffed that the bread came out so beautifully! Yes, my understanding that with most sourdough breads the dough should be really soft. When it’s wheat sourdough the dough is not so completely wet as it is with rye, but nevertheless. I love Borodinsky recipe, I have to admit, because no kneading is required, and the result is so delicious and complex. Hope you’ll come back for more recipe later!

8. 100 Loaves of Solitude: baking traditional bread from every country in Europe | Flour and Leaven says:

[...] Borodinksy bread because a) it has a great name and b) this post about it has an AWESOME [...]

9. Loaf 2: Borodinsky bread from Russia | 100 Loaves of Solitude says:

[...] 2 of 100 is this delicious Borodinsky bread. Who could resist the doughy cleavage of Mother Russia? Y’all know where Russia is, so I’m not going to bother with the map this time. (Read: [...]

10. Margo Moore says:

I made a version of your Borodinsky bread, quite successfully, although I am no good at converting from metric. I wish you would give cups teaspoons, etc and degrees Fahrenheit. Anyway, it occurred to me that beer might be made to substitute for the rye malt. I substituted beer for the water (flat beer, of course). I used a Polish beer called Zywiec. And since I had no starter on hand, I made it by beginning with 1/4 C dark rye flour, 1/4 C beer, and 1/4 tsp bulk dry yeast; After letting it sit 24 hrs, I fed the starter with the same again for 3 more nights. I included a few extras like some cut up potato dumplings and a minced shallot sautéed in olive oil; I added 3 Tbsp ground coriander to that while it was sautéing, to bring out the flavor. 1/4 C blackstrap molasses made it almost too sweet. And I used4 crumbled soaked Wasa bread light rye crackers as “Altus”. 1-1/2 C dark rye flour was what I used; the result was a little wet at bottom so next time I would use a little more flour. I also only allowed to rise for only 2 hours because I was losing sleep to do this; I think 6 hrs might have been better. I crushed the whole coriander for the pan (buttered–had no rendered pork fat handy) and the top in a mortar, just cracking it a little). Not only did I love it but my husband did as well, toasted with butter. Next time I may reduce the molasses slightly. Tonight I plan to begin a new starter. Thank you for your wonderful recipe! It was a lot of fun making it, and more fun eating it!

• Katrina K says:

Dear Margo So delighted to hear the recipe has worked! You clear know a lot more about starters than I do! Amazing combos. And adding beer is very clever (russkis might have been adding kvas all those centuries ago…).